Monday, October 8, 2012

Getting a Grip.......

I Peter 5:8 
Be on your guard (self-controlled) and stay awake. Your enemy, the devil, is like a roaring lion, sneaking around to find someone to attack. 

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [[a]in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.

This verse is our memory verse for Unglued Bible Study. I thought I would share here what this verse means to me. 
  
We are being instructed to be on guard, in control of ourselves in the way we respond to situations. Not only that be cautious and alert of our surroundings. As a woman when we are walking at night we are making sure we have our keys ready for self defense, we are looking around for a moment where we can become under attack. It is our natural instincts to be on guard. Now that is what we are being instructed to do with the devil.  Be on high alert and ready for anything. The most important part in this verse to me is to BE IN CONTROL and ALERT! The devil is constantly looking for ways to trip me up and throw distractions in my path. My husbands has always told me my biggest downfall is the way I react to people and the situations. He has always encouraged me to get in control and I would see more positive outcome...My excuse of not being in control would be "they just know what buttons to push so if they would stop pushing my buttons then I wouldn't had to yell or scream at them..." (Exploder that Blames Others).  

So being on guard (in control) and alert that gives me time to Pause-Stop-Breathe in & out-gain perspective and then Respond to the situation!I actually have a note on my computer to remind me daily! With these steps it reminds me daily the person I want to be; A Woman of God that responds & reacts with Soul Integrity. 

This past week I had to put into practice what I have read. I chose to stay calm and not have a unglued moment even though I was really hurt because I felt I had been bluntly lied too by a "friend." I had to sit down and actually write a letter to this "friend" and try to communicate gracefully. I sat down and prayed and followed the template laid before us. I prayed over my email and consulted my husband before I sent it. Even though, it was a very difficult email to send but it was necessary for me to send it. If I didn't send it, then what would of happened next would be me "stuffing/building barriers." I desire to grow in the Lord and find the balance in my life with Soul Integrity like Lysa spoke of.  

I looked over my notes I wrote for Ch 5. especially the part about the devil was actually our enemy and behind it all. I still knew that I was going to get backlash and explosion from this "friend." Her reaction to my email was worse than I could of imagine. Her words were beyond repair. The crazy thing is, in the past I would usually come back swinging with words and daggers just like her but instead I felt a peace over my mind and spirit. I was calm. I prayed and repeated to myself, Forgiveness is Mandatory but Reconciliation is Optional. 

Between the situation and reading Chapter 5 this is what I took from it all....everything is a choice. I can't always control the situation but I can control myself. I have a long way to go but at least I know I am making PROGRESS! Also, my feelings indicators, not dictators! Remembering who the real enemy is...even in the midst of different situations and it is mandatory for me to have that quiet time with God before I deal "with the screaming demands of the world." Following a template and following it....Step out of the battle zone and get quiet with God and have Him help me to get a grip.....


Seeking HIM first,
Liz 



3 comments:

  1. What a great reminder! We as women do have to be on guard when we are out alone at night. Good comparison with how we need to be vigilant with Satan! Thanks for your post Liz!
    Blessings,
    Beth, OBS Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Liz, you really have brought Lysa's grace-filled ideas into your heart, and into your life! Way to be!! It's not easy to take the step of allowing grace to guide our responses, but as you shared, no matter the response we receive, we can feel the peace of knowing we are walking in God's path.
    May God bless you and keep you,
    Karen, OBS Small Group Leader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both Ladies, I really appreciate your comments. It truly has blessed my heart. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete